Soundfield Audio Monitor 2A

AJinFLA

• Industry Participant
  • Soundfield Audio Loudspeakers
    • Soundfield Audio
Soundfield Audio Monitor 2A
« on: 19 Oct 2013, 03:17 pm »
Soundfield introduced a new version of my M2 speaker at RMAF 2013 (though there is already one pair in use with a customer).
They are designed specifically for lower power, low NFB tube amplifiers with high output impedance (all?). That means not only is the sensitivity high (>100db/watt, measurable/verifiable), but the impedance is benign.
Specifications are:
8" 2 way, with super and rear tweeter options. Woofer is actively driven (<700hz) by 150w rms AB amplifier mounted in stand.
>700hz, a planar magnetic horn loaded ribbon midtweeter is passively driven by the main system amplifier. Recommended power is 1-30 watts.
FR 40Hz-19Khz +/-3db, sealed box.
Dimensions/weight: 20" H x 10" W x 10" D,  32 lbs
Stand: 24" H x 11" W x 12" D (base),  32 lbs
Price: $2400/pr as shown (Cherry veneer). This is for speakers/stands system.

« Last Edit: 19 Oct 2013, 05:05 pm by AJinFLA »

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
Re: Soundfield Audio Monitor 2A
« Reply #1 on: 19 Oct 2013, 03:46 pm »
Ooh La La looking good AJ. Cannot wait to get a demo pair to show in NY area oh my !!!

charles

R_burke

« Reply #2 on: 19 Oct 2013, 03:58 pm »
Good specs, good looks - how much $

AJinFLA

• Industry Participant
    • Soundfield Audio
« Reply #3 on: 19 Oct 2013, 05:04 pm »
Good specs, good looks - how much $

Sorry, edited original post. $2400/pr standard finishes (cherry shown). Pair at RMAF was $2700, real wood baffle and base of stand.

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #4 on: 19 Oct 2013, 06:10 pm »
Wow, AJ. If all you need is an amplifier for the planar ribbon greater than 700Hz, then all the flea watt amps may apply: 45, 2A3, 300B SETs aficionados have your cake and eat it. You can take a Bottlehead amp and have fun with this!

Very nice!

Best,
Anand.

AJinFLA

• Industry Participant
    • Soundfield Audio
« Reply #5 on: 21 Oct 2013, 05:32 pm »
Wow, AJ. If all you need is an amplifier for the planar ribbon greater than 700Hz, then all the flea watt amps may apply: 45, 2A3, 300B SETs aficionados have your cake and eat it. You can take a Bottlehead amp and have fun with this!

Very nice!

Best,
Anand.

Yep, that's exactly what they are designed and engineered for. Low power, low NFB. Even a 1.5 watt Garber Fi X4 drove them to room filling levels at a local club demo last year.
No need for something the size of a refrigerator  :)

cheers,

AJ

Saturn94

« Reply #7 on: 8 Dec 2013, 06:31 pm »
I just found this thread....pardon my tardiness....

Very nice AJ.  One day I hope to hear the M2 as well as the new tower.  Meanwhile my M1's are doing quite nicely.  :thumb:

pslate

« Reply #8 on: 8 Dec 2013, 06:44 pm »
Love, love, love these things. Mine are 100% passive though. I really like having both M1's and M2's (insert evil genius laugh here). Very different, but both are spectacular. The M2s I have a feeling would really like vinyl, so I may have to invest and rescue records at my parents house. I forgave my brother for telling my folks they could through away the majority of rock records we collected. That took maturity  :thumb:

Triode Pete

• Industry Contributor
  • www.TriodeWireLabs.com
    • Triode Wire Labs - Affordable Audiophile Cables
« Reply #9 on: 8 Dec 2013, 08:59 pm »
Hey AJ,
You had very, very, very good sound at RMAF this past October! Maybe that's the reason I was in your room a half dozen times during the 3 day Audiofest! With your speakers, "Triodes Rule"!

Two thumbs way up, AJ!

Cheers,
Pete

AJinFLA

• Industry Participant
    • Soundfield Audio
« Reply #10 on: 9 Dec 2013, 01:48 pm »
I just found this thread....pardon my tardiness....
Very nice AJ.  One day I hope to hear the M2 as well as the new tower.  Meanwhile my M1's are doing quite nicely.  :thumb:
Thanks Saturn. Capfest is a possibility as always. TBD.

Love, love, love these things. Mine are 100% passive though. I really like having both M1's and M2's (insert evil genius laugh here). Very different, but both are spectacular. The M2s I have a feeling would really like vinyl, so I may have to invest and rescue records at my parents house. I forgave my brother for telling my folks they could through away the majority of rock records we collected. That took maturity  :thumb:
Thanks Paul. Haven't owned a TT in 20+ yrs....but that U-Turn Orbit may change that. Not because I think vinyl is superior to digital or any silliness like that, but because there is stuff on records that has not or never will make it to digital. I'm a music, not equipment fanatic.

Hey AJ,
You had very, very, very good sound at RMAF this past October! Maybe that's the reason I was in your room a half dozen times during the 3 day Audiofest! With your speakers, "Triodes Rule"!
Two thumbs way up, AJ!
Cheers,
Pete
Thanks Pete. Finally succumbed, have a pair out for magazine review, to be used with low power tubes/triodes of course. Maybe that'll put them on the radar of the flea amp crowd.

cheers,

AJ

Saturn94

« Reply #11 on: 12 Dec 2013, 11:35 pm »
Thanks Saturn. Capfest is a possibility as always. TBD.....

cheers,

AJ

I hope too make it this time.  Last year I was sick and didn't make it.  I'll start taking my vitamins now. :D