Model of speakers?

Snarf

Model of speakers?
« on: 8 May 2013, 07:59 pm »
Can any one tell me the model no. or name of these speakers? Any idea of their current value (price)?

Mike Dzurko

Re: Model of speakers?
« Reply #1 on: 10 May 2013, 10:20 am »
Looks like Compact Monitors with Force Subs.  Looks like they are still in great shape!

Mudslide

« Reply #2 on: 10 May 2013, 01:20 pm »
Mike, the monitors look very much like the old LX's but with different midbass drivers.  What are the drivers?

OP, the units do look in pretty good shape.  The subs, assuming they still work properly, have much more worth than the monitors, I think.  You could try Audiogon or the Speakers For Sale circle on this forum if you're looking to sell.  I'm wild guessing here, but I think the subs could sell for ~$250/ea. and the monitors ~$100/pair.

Mark Korda

• Dawkus
« Reply #3 on: 10 May 2013, 01:47 pm »
Hi Snarf, I think I know what those speakers are. There Audio Concepts. A small speaker company that was located in a church building in La Crosse Wisconsin. 1989. The subs were offered as a kit or built called the Pulse Mark2's. The smaller ones are called the Compact Monitor. The cabinets are from WoodStyle now defunct. The drivers are the best you can get. Woofer- Dynaudio 17W75. The tweeter is the Dynaudio D-28af. Dynaudio used to sell raw drivers to the home builder,but no more. The sub built was 449.00. The compact monitor should have a variovent on the back,aperiodic loading. The monitor went for 419.00 a piece. I got lots more info but got to catch a ride to work.Write me back tonight for more info......Mark Korda

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #4 on: 10 May 2013, 02:02 pm »
Hi Snarf, I think I know what those speakers are. There Audio Concepts. A small speaker company that was located in a church building in La Crosse Wisconsin. 1989. The subs were offered as a kit or built called the Pulse Mark2's. The smaller ones are called the Compact Monitor. The cabinets are from WoodStyle now defunct. The drivers are the best you can get. Woofer- Dynaudio 17W75. The tweeter is the Dynaudio D-28af. Dynaudio used to sell raw drivers to the home builder,but no more. The sub built was 449.00. The compact monitor should have a variovent on the back,aperiodic loading. The monitor went for 419.00 a piece. I got lots more info but got to catch a ride to work.Write me back tonight for more info......Mark Korda

Great memory Mark! From the picture, it looks like a Vifa P17W or P21W series woofer on the subwoofer cabinet. It is now a classic design (popular in the late 80's and early to mid 90's). A replica is being made by Scan-Speak and sold by Madisound. A blast from the past!

Best,
Anand.

Mark Korda

• Dawkus
« Reply #5 on: 10 May 2013, 11:04 pm »
Hi Anand, first, Mike Z was right about the Compact Monitors. I know I'm right about the sub woofer. It's not my memory,I saved every thing about HiFi ever. I had the 1989 catalog. You can tell the Dynaudio woofer from those little rectangles that go around the dust cap. The Monitors also had a foam difraction piece around the tweeter.You can see the glue spots where it was.Hey,something seemed funny? Here it is Mike Dzurko was the president of Audio Concepts. I found some more stuff. Let me say though I never heard any of his speakers,his catalog stands out as the most informative well laid out fun piece of audio mail I ever got. I hope Audio Concepts still lives Mike! Your catalog got me into the speaker building hobby. Also Mike,I have a rare piece of equipment that only you and I and Neil Shattles would remember. The Shadow Mark4 Electronic Crossover prototype built by Neil Shattles,a friend I've never seen but met thru the Audio Mart. I think you sold his product for a while.I will dig up the ad. Mike,your catalog was to speaker builders what the L.L.Bean catalog is to outdoor wear,I'm from Maine. The Compact Monitors frequency graph is an almost a strait line from 100hz to 20,000hz, with plenty of low bass to boot even without the subs. I would never part with those speakers....tell us more Mike!....Mark Korda

Mike Dzurko

« Reply #6 on: 11 May 2013, 03:23 pm »
Mark is right about the subs, I have no idea why I said Force . . . They are Pulse, a compound loaded sub with two Vifa woofers per cabinet. And yes, those are definitely Compact Monitors with Dynaudio drivers . . .

Neil is a great guy! Haven't talked to him in a LONG time . . .

Mark Korda

• Dawkus
« Reply #7 on: 11 May 2013, 05:39 pm »
 Hi Mike, I'm going to e-mail Neil and tell him what you said. He is a great guy! Snarf, I'm going to give you a few comments from the catalog ala 1989 from Mikes Company Audio Concepts on the Compact Monitors. The Compact Monitor is a state of the art small loudspeaker.Owners often compare it with the Celestion SL1600 at 1800 a pair. It has deeper bass,higher efficiency,and higher output levels. Mike had a deal; Buy any pair of small speakers 500 bucks and up making sure you could get a refund.Then order the Compact Monitors.Try them for 30 days. Almost all people returned the exspensive speakers in a day or two after hearing the Compacts. The Pulse was recommended for even deeper bass. It was successfully matched with Quads,Accoustats,Martin Logans,and other electrostatics as well as many satellites. Snarf,I saved every Speaker Builder magizine at those dates. I will search for a review tonight.

Jeff1970

« Reply #8 on: 6 Aug 2017, 03:33 pm »
I know this is a long shot because this thread is so old, but I just inherited my dads ACI speakers that are this model and they sound great! I just wanted to find out what drivers they are using.