Voltage inverters for Solar power

Tuckers

« on: 1 Jun 2004, 04:36 pm »
Hi Kevin,

I'm loking into Solar panels for my home  8) , and I have heard that most voltage converters create very noisy/dirty power.  

Do you know anything about this?

KevinW

« Reply #1 on: 2 Jun 2004, 02:36 pm »
Hi Tuckers,
This is a good question.  A pure sine wave inverter can produce very clean power, and can be superior to AC off the grid because there are a lot of noise sources on the grid that can parasitcally feed into your lines.   Of course, this depends entirely on location, time of day, etc... YMMV.

There are definite advantages in going with your own solar PV system, because you know that any noise is YOUR noise and a relative constant factor.  Thus a specialized power filter can be designed to reduce only the noise products of your inverter, resulting in the purest power.  In the not too distant future, I will be working with Jena Labs to adapt their industry leading power filter for some of the more common inverters.  

If you move forward with your solar PV system, please keep in touch.  I am very much impressed with those who decide to get themselves off the grid, and I would like to work with audiophiles who have done this.  

-kevin

Tuckers

Getting off
« Reply #2 on: 3 Jun 2004, 05:48 pm »
I won't be pulling the plug from the electric company, so I will have both my local power companies power issues and the issue of the inverter.

I keep hearing Sunny Boys are the best inverters, but of course this is not in consideration of audiophile issues.  Perhaps whole house balanced power is the answer!

It would sure be nice to be able to measure this.

Here in San Francisco, it's supposed to be a very good place for solar, as the cooler temps allow the panels to work more efficiently.  The cooler the panel, the more electricity you are supposed to get.  They say around here that the electricity production is the same as the desert, because of this.