Guidelines for Low Wattage Systems

Freo-1

Guidelines for Low Wattage Systems
« on: 5 Apr 2012, 11:29 pm »
Hello, and welcome one and all to the Low Wattage Circle.

This circle is for those of us who enjoy listening to our favorite music through systems which employ low wattage power amplifiers, along with speakers that work well with them.
Along with all applicable Audio Circle rules and guidelines, the following basic guidelines are provided as follows:
1.   The power amps mentioned here should be of a low wattage output.  For the purposes of this circle, a general rule of thumb would be a rated output of 25 watts (at 8 ohms) or less.
2.   All amplifier topologies are welcome (tube, solid state). 
3.   Speakers need to be of sufficient sensitivity/efficiency to allow playback at moderate to loud listening levels.

So as to keep the conversations going in a positive direction, a couple of points worth mentioning:
1.  Stay clear of referring to double blind testing arguments.  They never end well, and will not enhance anyone’s knowledge.
2. Please keep differences of opinion/disagreements at a non personal level.  If you have a strong preference for a given amp topology/source component, etc, feel free to express those views (and why you feel that way).  Just respect the fact that others may not share that view.  So, when getting into animated discussions about these differences, be careful not to cross the line into personal attacks.

The intent of this circle is to have fun with this, learn more about this topic from one another, and most importantly, enjoy the music!

As Paul Klipsch adroitly stated:  “What this country needs is a good 5 watt amplifier”.
« Last Edit: 9 Apr 2012, 11:00 am by ServerAdmin »

JohnR

Re: Guidelines for Low Wattage Systems
« Reply #1 on: 9 Apr 2012, 11:01 am »
Sounds good  :thumb:

Ericus Rex

« Reply #2 on: 9 Apr 2012, 01:18 pm »
Though I don't own an amp that qualifies (my lowest watter is a 40 watt Quicksilver GLA) I look forward to reading the posts in this new circle and learning a thang or two!  I'm particularly interested in the interactions between super low-wattage amps and various speaker designs.

Congrats Freo!

ebag4

« Reply #3 on: 9 Apr 2012, 04:28 pm »
Would this circle include systems whose speakers are bi or multi amped?  For instance my V-1s use high power amps for the bass section from 200 Hz and down, however I use a 3.5 Watt 2A3 amp for the coaxes from 200 Hz and up.

Congrats on the new circle, sounds like a great idea.

Best,
Ed

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #4 on: 9 Apr 2012, 04:39 pm »
  Cool idea , thanks. I guess I qualify with an 18W SET pair of mono blocks. Using an RCA or GE 211. They were Consonance Cyber 211s before every internal  part was changed. New everything from trannies to resistors , choke regulated power supply, oh my!
  Started with SS to push pull to SET. No turning back for me.

charles

R_burke

« Reply #5 on: 9 Apr 2012, 05:18 pm »
How does the pre-amp play in the equation, or does it matter?

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #6 on: 9 Apr 2012, 05:34 pm »
How does the pre-amp play in the equation, or does it matter?
as long as it is less than 25wpc, you should be good!   :lol:

doug s.

InfernoSTi

« Reply #7 on: 9 Apr 2012, 05:44 pm »
Great circle!  I'm looking forward to sharing my system(s) and discussing both the macro and micro details associated with the concept of low wattage systems!  2A3 SET and open baffle is my poison! 

John

Freo-1

« Reply #8 on: 9 Apr 2012, 08:48 pm »
Great responses, everyone.  Happy to see the enthusiasm. 

By the way, if one is using low wattage for some or all of the audio spectrum, then this is the place to discuss that.   We all may learn something there.

Davey

« Reply #9 on: 9 Apr 2012, 09:11 pm »
I can remember when 40 wpc systems were considered HIGH power.  :)

Good circle.

Dave.

bunky

« Reply #10 on: 9 Apr 2012, 11:12 pm »
I run a JAS Audio Bravo 2.3 SE 18wpc class A Single Ended intergrated tube amplifier powered by Russian Military 6C33-B triodes using  Circa 1950's NOS Sylvania JAN Mil Spec 6SJ7 WGT pentodes and a pair of Circa 1944 NOS RCA coke bottle 5U4 rectifiers. i drive a pair of Silverline Audio Sonata III's with this amplifier and i love the way it sounds  :drool:

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #11 on: 10 Apr 2012, 01:06 am »
Congrats, Freo!  Thanks, JohnR!
I look forward to reading, and learning, a lot!  :beer:

Have fun,

Jerry

gregoh

« Reply #12 on: 10 Apr 2012, 01:11 am »
GR research servo subs / AE TD 12M's  / Radian 745 1.4 CD ,cherry waveguide/ Fountek 3.5 Ribbon . All enclosures sand filled sealed low Q---96 db system powered by 8wt SET 300B's ----SUBs use SS servo plate amps I assume subs will be excluded from power limits.?? Low watt SET not having to do low bass is a good thing IMHO

Ericus Rex

« Reply #13 on: 10 Apr 2012, 05:59 pm »
GR research servo subs / AE TD 12M's  / Radian 745 1.4 CD ,cherry waveguide/ Fountek 3.5 Ribbon . All enclosures sand filled sealed low Q---96 db system powered by 8wt SET 300B's ----SUBs use SS servo plate amps I assume subs will be excluded from power limits.?? Low watt SET not having to do low bass is a good thing IMHO

Very nice!  Love the finish on the cabs!

SET Man

« Reply #14 on: 11 Apr 2012, 12:06 am »
Hey!

Look like I will fit in this circle pretty nicely  :lol:

Take care,
Buddy  :thumb:

Freo-1

« Reply #15 on: 11 Apr 2012, 12:21 am »
Hey!

Look like I will fit in this circle pretty nicely  :lol:

Take care,
Buddy  :thumb:

Welcome, Buddy!

Looking forward to your keen insight. 

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #16 on: 11 Apr 2012, 02:06 pm »
Congrats on the new circle.  I will be reading with keen interest. :thumb:

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #17 on: 12 Apr 2012, 01:49 am »
I can remember when 40 wpc systems were considered HIGH power.  :)

My high power amp is usually running 20W (but i can flip it into pentode for 40W). My SE amp is 4W, (slowly) working on one that will be less.

dave

56oval

« Reply #18 on: 16 May 2012, 11:20 am »
Hello
My 300B SET amp's for the treble & midrange sections for my active speaker will be allowed in this part of the forum  :D but not the bass amps being 40watters  :cry: .

Cheers

Filament

« Reply #19 on: 1 Jun 2012, 07:48 pm »
PS: Nice speakers.
Vertical biamping for the subs is obviously a good idea. 
I like your suspended supertweeter!
Is that the Fountek NeoCD3.5H..?
How do you have it filtered and what do you think of its sound?