BRYSTON BDP-1/2 DIGITAL PLAYER FEEDBACK/REVIEWS

NMG

Re: BRYSTON BDP-1 DIGITAL PLAYER FEEDBACK/REVIEWS
« Reply #980 on: 28 Sep 2012, 02:00 pm »
Tomsenko,

Why do you need anything under the BDP-1? It is essentially inert. That said, audioholic that I am, I tried a few things underneath -- BDP cones, Aurios, etc. and they either made the sound worse or did nothing at all. Curious about your results when Herbie's devices are installed.

Neal

tomsenko

« Reply #981 on: 28 Sep 2012, 03:13 pm »
Tomsenko,

Why do you need anything under the BDP-1? It is essentially inert. That said, audioholic that I am, I tried a few things underneath -- BDP cones, Aurios, etc. and they either made the sound worse or did nothing at all. Curious about your results when Herbie's devices are installed.

Neal

I have my speakers placed on the same shelf due to space constraints (see picture of my system). The vibrations are pulsating through the shelf into BDP and DAC, especially where the track has big bass and is played loudly. The Herbies devices will first go under the pieces of marble. If there is some improvement, I might try some more under the speaker spikes and under components.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #982 on: 9 Nov 2012, 07:43 pm »
Sent: November-09-12 2:30 PM
To: James Tanner
Subject: Re: Bryston

Thank you James for the updates, have been using them on both units and I love the new interface and features(random, repeat, larger album
art) as well. No more glitches or hangups on some files here and there. Everything is perfect. I love you all .... in a platonic way of course!!! :)

I can't stress enough how much my BDP-1's mean to me.

My entire music collection combined with incredible sound quality at the touch of a button. The BDP-1 defines audio perfection.

Take care James and everyone at Bryston.

Sebastian

James Tanner

• Facilitator
Re: BRYSTON BDP-1/2 DIGITAL PLAYER FEEDBACK/REVIEWS
« Reply #983 on: 13 Dec 2012, 03:35 pm »
Sent: December-13-12 9:44 AM
To: jamestanner@bryston.ca
Subject: Happy Holidays and Thanks!!

James, just a quick e-mail to wish you and all the staff at Bryston a very happy holiday season!!

Also to thank you for making such a great addition to my music system - the BDP-1. I have not bought anything that has single-handedly transformed the way I access and listen to my music library any better than the BDP-1.

And sonically, it's a slam dunk, as it takes red book to a new level.

Once you helped me to get it configured along with mPad, I have not had a single "problem" with it. In fact, I never did have any problems with it - any temporary glitches were just due to my newness with the BDP-1. I am thoroughly pleased, and I thank you (and Chris) every time I fire it up to enjoy music.

From a very satisfied customer who made an absolutely right purchasing decision a year ago,

Alan
Edmonds, WA
« Last Edit: 25 Jan 2013, 01:03 pm by James Tanner »

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #984 on: 19 Dec 2012, 07:02 pm »
Got this today from Absolute Sound Magazine but no idea which product we won Editors Choice for :scratch:

I am guessing BDA-1?

james

Samurai7595

« Reply #985 on: 24 Dec 2012, 05:24 pm »
I noticed that the manual for the new Bryston BDP-2 is now available on the Bryston web site.

However, the manual makes no mention of the possibility of installing and using an internal 2.5" drive.  Will this be included with the unit itself?

For example: instructions on how to open the unit, how to install the drive, how to format/initiate the drive, how to copy music files to the drive and how to use the drive?

High Fly

« Reply #986 on: 25 Dec 2012, 05:14 am »
Hi all, first post.

Another thing about the BDP-2 manual on the Bryston web site.
I thought that I had read somewhere on this forum that the BDP-2 rear USB ports are capable of supplying more current to port powered external drives (more than what the BDP-1 is capable of supplying).
Am I mistaken ?
The manual says............

• USB ports are limited to 500ma’s (½ amp) of current on the BDP-2 so we do not recommend USB
drives requiring more current than 500ma’s be
used if they are going to be powered by the internal USB ports in the BDP-2.

• Thumb-Drives require very little current but 3.5 in
drives (usually in the 1-TB (terabyte) to 3-TB size
usually require more current than the USB ports
on the BDP-2 can supply.

• Therefore Bryston recommends using Thumb-Drives of any size or 2.5 inch drives up to 750GB if
you are powering them with the USB ports on the BDP-2.

• If you require a 1-TB drive we would recommend
TWO-500GB USB drives attached to the 2 rear
ports on the BDP-2 rather than a single 1-TB USB
drive. If you require 1TB or larger (3-TB) USB
drives then please use drives which are self powered.
The bottom rear USB port on the BDP-2 provides ½ amp of current
 and the top rear and two front USB ports share ½ amp.

Also, the BDP-2 has 4 rear USB ports, but that last paragraph quoted from the manual above seems to imply 2 ports, so I'm thinking that the manual contains errors?

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #987 on: 25 Dec 2012, 05:49 am »
I noticed that the manual for the new Bryston BDP-2 is now available on the Bryston web site.

However, the manual makes no mention of the possibility of installing and using an internal 2.5" drive.  Will this be included with the unit itself?

For example: instructions on how to open the unit, how to install the drive, how to format/initiate the drive, how to copy music files to the drive and how to use the drive?

This manual is simply a first revision, essentially the BDP-1 manual with some minor updates and the 1's replaced with 2's.  There will be more info to come in the new year, we are also currently working on a new wiki site dedicated to bryston products.  This page is meant to act a guide on how to use the software included on BDP's and other heavily software based products.  We hope to have the page available to the public and articles detailing the BDP's usage by the end of January.

Cheers,
Chris

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #988 on: 25 Dec 2012, 11:58 am »
Hi,

Here are the shots  of the BDP-2 - it has 4 USB's on the rear and 2 on the front.

http://bryston.com/products/digital_audio/BDP-2.html

james

smatsui324

« Reply #989 on: 28 Dec 2012, 04:31 pm »
Hi James,

It was nice speaking to you on the phone this morning.  Thanks again for helping me setup MPAD.  I received my
Bryston BDP-2 yesterday and I'm absolutely amazed at the sound quality.  Through the BDP-2, digital music in my system
has never sounded so good.  The organic nature of the music is so enjoyable.  For reference, my system includes
a PS Audio PWD MKII and PWT, Ray Samuels A-10 Thunderbolt fully balanced vacuum tube 2 chassis electrostatic headphone
amp/preamp, McIntosh MC452 quad balance power amp, Harbeth M40.1 speakers, and a Linn LP12 turntable with
Radikal PS, Ekos SE arm, and Akiva MC cartridge. 

What really surprises me is that I find the BDP-2 playing 16/44.1 FLAC files preferrable to my PS Audio PWT spinning CDs
connected to the same PS Audio PWD MKII via an I2S cable.  Previously, I played those same FLAC files either through a
laptop PC connected to the same DAC via a Halide Bridge USB/SPDIF converter or through a SONOS system feeding the
coax digital input of the PWD MKII.  The BDP-2 plays at a completely higher level than any digital system that I've heard in my
home.  I'm using a 2TB Western Digital self powered USB HDD connected to the BDP-2 and an AES/EBU 110 ohm Blue Jean
cable to connect to the PWD MKII. 

What improvements am I hearing?  Images seem more real and are clearly defined in space.  There appears to be more space
between the images and the soundstage extends wider and deeper.  Piano, horns etc.; all sound more natural than ever before.
The noise level seems non-existant.  Noise never seemed to be a problem before but with the BDP-2 in the system the noise
floor seems to have dropped even lower.  I'm very happy that I can play my nearly 19,000 FLAC files at a level that exceeded
my expectations.  Thanks Bryston.

Regards,
Steve M. from Canton, MI
« Last Edit: 28 Dec 2012, 05:33 pm by smatsui324 »

James Tanner

• Facilitator

mr_bill

« Reply #991 on: 2 Jan 2013, 07:48 pm »
I've got to hand it to you James - you really invented a winner with the BDP series.  I do need to purchase one at some time!

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #992 on: 2 Jan 2013, 08:48 pm »
I've got to hand it to you James - you really invented a winner with the BDP series.  I do need to purchase one at some time!

Thanks Bill - yes for being told initially - "send me some of what you're smoken James " .... it has turned out to be quite the hit  :thumb:

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator

gtaphile

« Reply #994 on: 15 Feb 2013, 01:55 pm »
My technical review of the BDA-1 and 2.

You are at a party conversing with a beautiful woman....and in walks a goddess.   

Gary

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #995 on: 16 Feb 2013, 03:24 pm »
Sent: February-14-13 9:51 AM
To: Jamestanner@bryston.ca
Subject: Purchase of BDP-1 Digital Player

Dear James:

I am thoroughly enjoying my BDP-1. 

Thank you so much for producing this wonderful product.  I am going to purchase a second BDP-1 in silver as a birthday gift for my adult son who loves music, has a great audio system, and is just now getting into high resolution digital music. 

Thanks for your help.

Best regards,
Donald Brody

James Tanner

• Facilitator

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #997 on: 28 Feb 2013, 12:46 pm »
Hi Folks,

Just wanted to let everyone know I bought a MAC mini IPAD and it appears to work well with the BDP-1 and BDP-2.

james

Alpha10

« Reply #998 on: 28 Feb 2013, 12:49 pm »
Hi Folks,

Just wanted to let everyone know I bought a MAC mini IPAD and it appears to work well with the BDP-1 and BDP-2.

james

I was going to mention this the other day, I actually really like my iPad mini, MPad works well, I would say better than on my iPad 3. The mini is a perfect size for me as a Bryston remote.

Cheers

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #999 on: 12 Mar 2013, 08:15 pm »
Sent: March-12-13 3:58 PM
To: James Tanner; crice@bryston.com
Cc: jbwhitlock1@aol.com
Subject: Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi James and Chris :

Thank you again for taking the time to get my new BDP-1 working with my 3T external hard drive and iPad Mini. It all works great and, most importantly, sounds fantastic!! 

Your BDA-1 DAC is an amazing upgrade from my old, old Denon DA-500 DAC.  I bought the Denon in 1996 ($500) and I think it may have been the first stand alone DAC on the mass market at that time.

I have started to invite all my audio friends and acquaintances over to admire your equipment (that I have been talking up for months) and to encourage them to "get on the bus" with Bryston.

Thanks again!

Daniel