The Prisma: Bigbox version of the Rhythm Prism...

Duke

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.audiokinesis.com
The Prisma: Bigbox version of the Rhythm Prism...
« on: 29 Apr 2011, 07:34 am »
The Prisma (prounounced "PREEZE-ma") is my latest design, an obvious Rhythm Prism derivative that offers a few refinements:  Bigger box for deeper bass; even greater adjustability for a wider range of room/amplifier compatibility (the bigger box translates to better performance in a large room); flush-mounted drivers for marginally better WAF; standard finish includes Walnut (depicted is a stained Walnut); and a rear-firing tweeter that's about 10 dB down relative to the front horn, which fills in a little bit of reverberant energy that is otherwise missing because of the horn's more limited vertical coverage.

I try to avoid waxing too poetic over my speakers because my opinion couldn't possibly be objective, but I think the Prisma is unusually natural-sounding on voices and instruments.  It offers what I think is a unique combination of attributes that has shifted my "how to design good, reasonably-priced loudspeakers" paradigm.  I'll go into more detail about the what, how, and why behind this after the secret weapon goes public. 

On the back of the speaker are two ports, one high and one low.  This is consistent with my philosophy of distributing the in-room basss sources as much as is practical.  Two speakers inherently spreads out the bass sources in the side-to-side dimension, but we can do better than that; mounting the woofers on the front and ports on the rear gives us some separation in the front-to-back dimension, and then the woofer and both ports all being at different heights gives us some distribution in the vertical dimension.  Thus we have our bass sources interacting with the room modes differently from one another, which results in some smoothing of the in-room bass.  We don't get as much smoothing as with a distributed multisub system, but then we don't have four more boxes in the room either. 

Also, having one port high and one port low results in a more symmetrical airload on the back of the cone.  The ports can be lengthened enough that, even in a corner-loading situation, we can still keep both ports open and thus maintain that more symmetrical airload.  This won't really matter at normal in-home levels, but if you really crank the speaker, it can help maintain linearity at high levels.  Cooling is also facilitated, with hot air exiting the top port and cool air entering the bottom port - again not a factor in normal use, but not a bad feature to have if you ever really crank 'em.

There is a significant hidden savings that ought to be factored in when considering a system-on-a-budget:  The Prisma sounds great driven by an inexpensive little Virtue Audio amp.  In other words, your amplifier cost can come way down compared to what most speakers are looking for.  And then if you later want to go with a specialty tube amp (OTL or SET), that will work just fine too because of the smooth impedance curve and adjustable port tuning. 

I may offer a professional version with higher power handling crossover parts and maybe another tweak or two, as I think the Prisma has potential for studio use.  As noted, the design includes features that contribute to good performance at high power levels.  And the woofer has enough excursion that its high thermal power handling isn't wasted by xmax being exceeded at modest power levels.   

Edit 6-12-11:   Due to the rising price of neodymium, and the inclusion of a rear-firing tweeter as standard on the Prisma, the price has increased to $3300. 

Here are specifications for the Prisma:

Type:  Two-way controlled-pattern floor standing reflex system

Impedance:  8 ohms nominal, tube-friendly

Efficiency:  93 dB/1 watt

Recommended amplifier power:  5 to 300 watts

Thermal compression:  Less than 1 dB at 50 watts (110 dB SPL)

Radiation pattern: 90 degres in the horizontal plane from about 1.4 kHz on up

Toe-in of front baffle:  45 degrees

Typical bandwidth, light boundary reinforcement:  41 Hz to 18 kHz

Typical bandwidth, moderate boundary reinforcement:  34 Hz to 18 kHz

Typical bandwidth, strong boundary reinforcement:  27 Hz to 18 kHz

User adjustable features:  Port tuning and treble tilt

Dimensions:  44" tall by 14" wide; depth along long side = 24"

Weight:  95 pounds each; 125 pounds crated

Price:  $3300.00 per pair plus shipping, Oak or Walnut veneer, natural or stained. 
« Last Edit: 19 Oct 2011, 08:58 pm by Duke »

Russell Dawkins

Re: The Prisma: Bigbox version of the Rhythm Prism...
« Reply #1 on: 29 Apr 2011, 08:27 am »
Verrrry interesting, and congratulations!

I am guessing this is approaching the Jazz Module in desirability. Nice price point, too.

Duke

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #2 on: 29 Apr 2011, 08:48 am »
Hi Russell, thank you very much!

Eventually I expect the Prisma to surpass the Jazz Modules as my most popular model.  It won't happen overnight of course, but I'm positioning a pair in southern California to make it easier for people in that area to get an audition. 

R_burke

« Reply #3 on: 14 Oct 2011, 06:52 pm »
Hi Russell, thank you very much!

Eventually I expect the Prisma to surpass the Jazz Modules as my most popular model.  It won't happen overnight of course, but I'm positioning a pair in southern California to make it easier for people in that area to get an audition.

It just so happens that I live in Southern California  :icon_lol:  Did you ever get a pair down here for auditioning/listening to?

Duke

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #4 on: 14 Oct 2011, 07:47 pm »
It just so happens that I live in Southern California  :icon_lol:  Did you ever get a pair down here for auditioning/listening to?

Yes, shoot me an e-mail at audiokinesis@yahoo.com and I'll pass the information on to you.  That pair was entered in the celebrity deathmatch tournament.   One of the pair has a battle scar with a story behind it.

Duke

Duke

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #5 on: 14 Oct 2011, 07:51 pm »
double post ooops

rockadanny

« Reply #6 on: 8 Dec 2011, 03:34 pm »
Typical bandwidth, light boundary reinforcement:  41 Hz to 18 kHz
Typical bandwidth, moderate boundary reinforcement:  34 Hz to 18 kHz
Typical bandwidth, strong boundary reinforcement:  27 Hz to 18 kHz

Can you please give an example of each type of boundary reinforcement?

Duke

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #7 on: 11 Dec 2011, 12:26 pm »
Can you please give an example of each type of boundary reinforcement?

Hmmm... okay, light boundary reinforcement would be away from the side and rear walls.

Moderate would be within a couple of feet of one wall, but not so close to the other.

Strong boundary reinforcement would be within a foot of one wall, and within maybe two feet of the other.

Consider the specs I posted regarding boundary reinforcement to be a rough guideline only; for example, in the thread about Prismas in phantom center mode, my brother posts in-room measurements indicating response down to the lower 20's, and you can see a photo of his setup in his initial post.  Frankly that's deeper extension than I expected, and deeper than I'd want to claim as "typical" for that type of setup.  This isn't just deep droning either; the definition and dynamic contrast is really quite good, as a good drum solo cut will reveal.  I build and sell prosound systems for studio or concert hall with the same drivers and crossover, usually minus the rear-firing tweeter, so imagine prosound impact with high-end timbre, smoothness, and articulation... and, in some rooms at least, some serious bass extension.