Looking at Super 5 Monitors for 2014

beowulf

Re: Looking at Super 5 Monitors for 2014
« Reply #20 on: 18 Dec 2013, 12:46 am »
DaveC113 is absolutely correct and I will be introducing soon the augmented systems with my 12" driver. It's single driver based and will have huge scale and dynamics. It took a while because I don't use off the shelf drivers and had to build my own. It's done now and it will see service in a variety of systems.

Thanks again and more on the way,
Louis

Hi Louis, single 12" driver to cover the entire sound spectrum?  That would be a dream speaker if so, can you share any preliminary specs?

FireGuy

« Reply #21 on: 18 Dec 2013, 01:04 am »
If you let us know where you live, perhaps someone nearby will volunteer to help you with an audition.

I'm working with Vladimir at North Country Audio...we're going to get the wheels in motion after the Holidays.  We had a good conversation this morning and I already have a relaxed sense my audio needs come before his sales.  Yes Sir,  that's how you do it.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #22 on: 18 Dec 2013, 01:49 am »
Hi Louis, single 12" driver to cover the entire sound spectrum?  That would be a dream speaker if so, can you share any preliminary specs?

No, the mid bass down will be done with a 12" mid bass driver... so it's like an augmented single driver, but not a traditional multi way.

beowulf

« Reply #23 on: 18 Dec 2013, 09:17 am »
No, the mid bass down will be done with a 12" mid bass driver... so it's like an augmented single driver, but not a traditional multi way.

Ok, so will this use some sort of crossover then?

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #24 on: 18 Dec 2013, 03:46 pm »
It would have to, probably just a cap on the single driver, but that's all I know so I'll let Louis comment on it further if he's ready.

Louis O

« Reply #25 on: 22 Dec 2013, 08:11 pm »
Hi Beowulf,

Thanks and no, the 12 will cover bass only. The driver is named Speed 12 now and will be doing a lot with them. First would be a very fast and efficient front firing bass unit. It won't be a sub. It's made for speed and quality bass and has to keep up with RS5's which are hard to keep up with. Also wouldn't want a 12 to run up high or even try to make it FR. The thing would beam like crazy.

Hi DaveC113,

You got it and the augmented speakers will be just that. Not traditional because the Crossover won't be in the way of the midrange and it won't be a slow speaker. It will be at least 96dB. The Speed 12 has a cone weight of 32 grams and huge motor.

The crossover would be set around 500Hz, simple first order and will hand off to RS5's in one version and alnico 6.5's in another.

The Bass only version will be powered. This one is going to be released first.

Thanks,
Louis

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #26 on: 22 Dec 2013, 09:05 pm »
I would like a set of speakers for that application using the RS5... i.e. sitting on top of a bass bin. I will get in touch after the holidays about that.

The RS5 makes for a better tweeter than most tweeters.   :green:

Louis O

« Reply #27 on: 24 Dec 2013, 11:49 pm »
Hi DaveC113,

Thanks and sounds great. I have a couple of versions on the drawing board. Thinking of a wide baffle one box cab with the RS5's as well.

They sure do especially dome tweeters.

Thanks,
Louis

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #28 on: 25 Dec 2013, 12:27 am »
Yeah, the RS5's highs sound natural and realistic. They provide plenty of detail without harshness, they don't make everything sound metallic while still getting cymbals right, they don't sound imprecise and just kind of crappy like a soft dome and of course they blend with the mids perfectly too. And the dispersion seems to work well, it is controlled but the rolloff depends on frequency (correct me if I'm off), so it has some of the properties of a tweeter with a waveguide too.

A vast majority of tweeters just sound off but recently some tweeters have become more refined. I am impressed with the beryllium based drivers I have heard, in fact these are the best transducers on the market right now IMO. TAD uses it to great effect in their proprietary coax driver (probably the best driver on the market period) and it is also used in compression driver diaphragms and some dome tweeters. RAAL's ribbons are also getting to the point where they are sounding good and the plasma tweeters I have heard are spectacular but very high $$$. And some of the electrostat tweets are nice, a friend has a set of ESS Heils that I just rebuilt and they are very good, so are the Enigma Acoustics Sopranino supertweeter demo'd w/ Majicos at RMAF this year.

Louis, have you experimented with using tweeters/super tweeters at the extreme high end? Like 18kHz or so?

I think the supertweeter is a good idea just so you can offer a 4-way single driver based system...  :lol:  You could have a 20-50 kHz FR system with one driver doing ~500-18 kHz...

Anyway, I am excited to see a BIG Omega speaker... with sound quality, efficiency, dynamics and being able to produce high SPLs they will be playing in the big leagues for sure. 

FireGuy

« Reply #29 on: 7 Jan 2014, 06:01 pm »
Nothing better than on a snow day to buy new speakers.  Just emailed Louis and ordered a pair of Super 5's with walnut veneer (level 2).   Two or three weeks to get in house.  Not too bad.  They are going to replace a pair of Axiom M2V3's in my 2nd room, 2C set up.    I've always highly regarded Axiom's "Canadian"  linear presentation as I own all of their bookshelves.  We'll see how they compete.  My expectations of course are that they will and then some. 

ebag4

« Reply #30 on: 7 Jan 2014, 11:58 pm »
Congrats on the Super 5s.  I should receive my Super 3is tomorrow, also in the walnut veneer.  I plan to run these with the bass section of my GR V1s.  Can't wait!

Best,
Ed

FireGuy

« Reply #31 on: 8 Jan 2014, 12:04 am »
Congrats on the Super 5s.  I should receive my Super 3is tomorrow, also in the walnut veneer.  I plan to run these with the bass section of my GR V1s.  Can't wait!

Best,
Ed

Nice Ed.  I did consider the 3's but wanted just a little more meat on the bone.  Have to also admit good choice on the walnut finish.  My latest Axiom purchase has a real wood cherry veneer and so appreciate the improved overall quality Vs. laminate.   Send pics and initial impressions on fit/finish and most importantly the sonic qualities.  I have not personally auditioned any Omega so I'm hoping for your 'most impressed" feedback. 

Guy 13

« Reply #32 on: 8 Jan 2014, 03:24 am »

Best,
Ed

Hi Ed and all Audio Circle members.
Are you gona drive your new
Super 3 with your Bottlehead Stereomour?
I am highly interested in reading your comments, which are always very detailled.
I am very anxious to get my Omega 7F drivers which I will complement with my V2 sub section.
However, I will use first the Omega 7F in a dipole configuration with my Decware 2wpc SET.

Guy 13

milford3

« Reply #33 on: 8 Jan 2014, 06:51 am »
FireGuy:  Congrats on the new Omega Super 5's.  New audio purchases are ALWAYS fun.  I have perused posts that suggest (room size withstanding) a SET or Push-Pull tube amp works best with Omegas.  Single driver speakers are very interesting indeed.   :D  Have fun.  And I want to hear the compairisent with the Axioms.

FireGuy

« Reply #34 on: 10 Jan 2014, 01:09 am »

Best,
Ed

Ed - has your shipment arrived?  Looking forward to your initial impressions.

ebag4

« Reply #35 on: 10 Jan 2014, 01:14 am »
Yes, they look fantastic, great build.  I am burning them in but haven't had a chance to really listen.  What hit me immediately is that they sound good out of the box.  More to come once I get a real chance to listen, likely this weekend, that way I will have about 20 hours on them as well.

Best,
Ed

pics too!

FireGuy

« Reply #36 on: 10 Jan 2014, 01:34 am »
Yes, they look fantastic, great build.  I am burning them in but haven't had a chance to really listen.  What hit me immediately is that they sound good out of the box.  More to come once I get a real chance to listen, likely this weekend, that way I will have about 20 hours on them as well.

Best,
Ed

pics too!

Guy 13

« Reply #37 on: 10 Jan 2014, 02:08 am »

Best,
Ed

pics too!

Hi Ed and all Audio Circle members.
Still waiting for your answer about my question, which was:
Will you be driving your new Omega with your Bottlehead amplifier?

Guy 13

ebag4

« Reply #38 on: 10 Jan 2014, 02:24 am »
Sorry Guy, I read that at work and forgot to respond later.  The answer is yes, I am driving them with the Stereomour.  That is part of what I wanted to try, SET with full range driver, see if I can capture a little of that SET/Full Range magic .

More later.

Best,
Ed

Louis O

« Reply #39 on: 12 Jan 2014, 09:21 pm »
Hi Ed,

Great choice and I had one a years ago and I should get another one. Would be fun to make a really nice chassis for it.

Thanks,
Louis