Building a stereo system

Bullfar

Building a stereo system
« on: 19 Mar 2018, 07:45 pm »
Hi, I am new in AudioCircle.

First sorry for my English.

During a decade or more I was a High End lover with a lot of systems over time, but children came and my habits of listening changed so I decided removed my stereo system and share the audio with the family installing a Home Cinema.

But now the children have grown, and I miss the magic of a high end stereo. I started with headphones, but for me it is not the same, and my last acquisition, a marvelous Chord Hugo II, has carry to me, again, to the dark side, wanting the magic of a good speakers.

So, now, returning to this crazy world, I have clear that I am looking for purity, so after a lot of thinking my route are going to single driver speakers, specific Omega Loudspeakers, Compact Alnico Monitors. The decision for the speakers is made, but now I have a lot of doubts about amplification.

With the Hugo I don't need preamp, so I am looking for a power amp. Looking for purity, my first choice was SET 300B (I had 3 of them in the past) maybe Audio Note Kit one or Yamamoto 09-S. But reading here, in the Omega forum, I have discovered an alternative to the tube amps, the First Watt amps, mostly the J2 or de Sit 2 (or the new sit 3). And thats the problem, choose between these four amps. Decisions, decisions.  :duh: :duh:

So your experience and advice would be welcome. 

This is my presentation with all the problems that surround my head actually.  :scratch: :scratch: 

Phil A

Re: Building a stereo system
« Reply #1 on: 19 Mar 2018, 08:42 pm »
Welcome to AC!

Mr Peabody

« Reply #2 on: 20 Mar 2018, 01:32 am »
I like the better control of solid state so I vote for First Watt, never compred models.  Pass also has that new single ended XA25.

Welcome to AC

JakeJ

« Reply #3 on: 21 Mar 2018, 12:01 pm »
Hello and welcome to AC, Bullfar.

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #4 on: 21 Mar 2018, 09:01 pm »
Welcome Bullfar :thumb:
The J2 is easy the best buy than all the others FW but its not cheap as a tube amp.

Having said that you also can use a nice tube amp w/Omega, as Decware Rachel SE34 or Inspire, both have the same price, but Inspire needs a Preamp and dont have headphone output as the Rachel($120 extra).

Stay away from PP amps and unbalanced headphones outputs, instead favor:
1) SE amps w/inexpensive tubes as EL34/KT88/KT90 etc (not expensive or rare tubes as 300B/211/845)

2) Balanced headphones outputs.
Hope this help.

Bullfar

« Reply #5 on: 26 Mar 2018, 05:01 pm »
The J2 is easy the best buy than all the others FW but its not cheap as a tube amp.

Having said that you also can use a nice tube amp w/Omega, as Decware Rachel SE34 or Inspire, both have the same price, but Inspire needs a Preamp and dont have headphone output as the Rachel($120 extra).

Stay away from PP amps and unbalanced headphones outputs, instead favor:
1) SE amps w/inexpensive tubes as EL34/KT88/KT90 etc (not expensive or rare tubes as 300B/211/845)

2) Balanced headphones outputs.

Hope this help.

Thanks FullRangeMan, I have read of the capabilities of the Chord Hugo II and the Chord Dave for drive the Omega Speakers with outstanding quality sound. It is hard to believe that, but owning I Chord Hugo II will be easy to check It. So I will try only the Hugo II with the CAM and will see if my next move is a First Watt amp or a Dave.

If finally I have to choose an amp, I think that I'll go for a First Watt Sit 3 or J2. Sit looking for purity and J2 looking for a more punchy all around amp. Do you like the J2 more than the Sit 2?. 

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #6 on: 26 Mar 2018, 07:55 pm »
Greetings & Welcome to AC Bullfar    :thumb:

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #7 on: 26 Mar 2018, 09:03 pm »
Do you had consider a tube less expensive than 300B?
As EL34/KT88/90/120/150 in Triode.
I like the J2, great amp to a cold area.