Junior 8 Owners

tdogzthmn

Junior 8 Owners
« on: 23 Jun 2017, 02:27 am »
Wanted to see if there are other Junior 8XRS owners here on the forum to share their experiences. 

Mine are arriving this week and I'm exited to start putting them through their paces. 

tdogzthmn

Re: Junior 8 Owners
« Reply #1 on: 23 Jun 2017, 02:29 am »
Image provided by Louis.

pursuitofnow

« Reply #2 on: 23 Jun 2017, 02:37 am »
They look great! What finish is that? Can't wait to hear what you think.

j-moose

« Reply #3 on: 23 Jun 2017, 02:53 pm »
Stunning! Also very interested to hear your thoughts. Congrats on your purchase!

tdogzthmn

« Reply #4 on: 23 Jun 2017, 05:27 pm »
They look great! What finish is that? Can't wait to hear what you think.

Went with an Oak veneer finish which was custom but will match the Oak Credenza I will be getting in a few weeks.

tdogzthmn

« Reply #5 on: 26 Jun 2017, 07:49 pm »
I've had the Junior 8's up and running since Friday and glad to report it all sounds good from the get go.

The detail, immediacy and soundstage is very apparent from the start.  Low level detail was another area that stood out and is useful for someone living in an apartment.  Currently using my Sansui AU517 which give a nice dark and musical presentation with the Junior 8.  I will be trying out my Bottlehead SEX soon to see if it has any advantages over the Sansui. 

Louis O

« Reply #6 on: 1 Jul 2017, 01:07 pm »
Hi tdogzthmn,

Thanks great to hear your Juniors are sounding good out of the box. I'm very happy the Sansui is a good match too.
I'm very interested in the Bottlehead combo. I have heard it's a great amp, but never heard the Bottlehead SEX amp with my speakers. I'm sure it will drive them easy.

Also thanks for posting the picture. They really came out great in the Oak finish and I'm thinking of adding it. I have more pictures that I'll be posting.

Thanks again,
Louis

tdogzthmn

« Reply #7 on: 10 Jul 2017, 10:39 pm »
Been away for a week so my Junior 8's only have a dozen hours or so of playing time.

I have found them to sound great with the loudness switch turned on.  The gain on the Sansui 517 is normally set around -47dB to -36dB so the accentuated bass and highs really liven things up.

I'm excited to get the Bottlehead SEX into the mix but it still seems a little early and would require some reorganization of gear and untangling of wires which i'm not looking forward too.

roscoe65

« Reply #8 on: 11 Jul 2017, 12:02 am »
Been away for a week so my Junior 8's only have a dozen hours or so of playing time.

I have found them to sound great with the loudness switch turned on.  The gain on the Sansui 517 is normally set around -47dB to -36dB so the accentuated bass and highs really liven things up.

I'm excited to get the Bottlehead SEX into the mix but it still seems a little early and would require some reorganization of gear and untangling of wires which i'm not looking forward too.

That's an interesting choice to power the RS8's.  If they are anything like my Omegas the break is fairly lengthy and both the bottom and top ends should improve, perhaps making the loudness switch unnecessary.  On the other hand, Omegas thrive a low volume levels, so a loudness switch may be just what the Dr. ordered.  I've toyed with trying out the Bottlehead "The Fix" filter box, which is a loudness switch of sorts.

tdogzthmn

« Reply #9 on: 12 Jul 2017, 05:15 am »
That's an interesting choice to power the RS8's.  If they are anything like my Omegas the break is fairly lengthy and both the bottom and top ends should improve, perhaps making the loudness switch unnecessary.  On the other hand, Omegas thrive a low volume levels, so a loudness switch may be just what the Dr. ordered.  I've toyed with trying out the Bottlehead "The Fix" filter box, which is a loudness switch of sorts.

I've been A/B testing the Junior 8 against my Vandersteen 1C speakers which has been good fun.  The Vandersteen's have been fully broken in by the time I bought them.  Right now the RS8 is more forward in how it presents detail with a brighter more mid focused approach.  The 1C is more subtle in the top end and has a darker more laid back sense.  The soundstage on the 1C also sounds larger and deeper than the Junior 8 although they are placed on the outside of Junior 8's.  They are of a minimal baffle design and the sounds seems to float a bit more in the space.  Makes me also wonder what a baffle step correction device like the fix would be able to do with the RS8 driver.  I'm sure things will continue to evolve with the RS8 as it breaks in.  Luckily both provide me with a solid listening experience just of a different flavor.

tdogzthmn

« Reply #10 on: 12 Jul 2017, 06:28 am »
I was able to get my Bottlehead SEX connected this evening with minimal fuss.  So far it sounds excellent with the Junior 8.  I have the volume set to nearly 3/4 where the volume on the Sansui is around 1/10 to achieve a similar listening level.  There is certain allure you get with a SET amp which is hard to beat and immediately welcoming.  I'll probably keep it hooked up to the Omega's for the rest of the week. 

roscoe65

« Reply #11 on: 12 Jul 2017, 12:23 pm »
I've been A/B testing the Junior 8 against my Vandersteen 1C speakers which has been good fun.  The Vandersteen's have been fully broken in by the time I bought them.  Right now the RS8 is more forward in how it presents detail with a brighter more mid focused approach.  The 1C is more subtle in the top end and has a darker more laid back sense.  The soundstage on the 1C also sounds larger and deeper than the Junior 8 although they are placed on the outside of Junior 8's.  They are of a minimal baffle design and the sounds seems to float a bit more in the space.  Makes me also wonder what a baffle step correction device like the fix would be able to do with the RS8 driver.  I'm sure things will continue to evolve with the RS8 as it breaks in.  Luckily both provide me with a solid listening experience just of a different flavor.

One characteristic of many full-range drivers is a midrange prominence you describe.  I have not heard the RS8 driver but it is likely to share that characteristic, especially while it is still undergoing break in.  My experience as been that FR drivers loosen up a lot on both the top and bottom ends after a while.  However, you may still find it to be a difference presentation than you are used to.  There are numerous threads devoted to firming up the bass (subwoofers, midwoofers, and 1.5 way options) and adding supplementary supertweeters to fill in the highs. 

A SE amp may also be happier with the FR of the RS8 than your Sansui (though with the Sansui's loudness control it is kind of moot) is that tube amps usually keep putting out near full power into high impedances.  The FR drivers in Omega's will have rising impedance on both the high and low ends.  With a SS amp, this may result in more power delivery into the midrange.

tdogzthmn

« Reply #12 on: 25 Jul 2017, 04:37 am »
After a few weeks of playing time the RS8 drivers have begun to audibly settle in.

The initial shouty/forward presentation has relaxed and music is much more fluid sounding.  I've been getting some serious vinyl listening sessions in with the Denon DL-103 on a Technics SL-1210 and driven by the Sansui AU-517.  On well recorded and mastered LPs you can hear deeply into the recordings which is always fun for me.

Are there any other RS8 speaker owners with sufficient hours on their drivers to notice any change?  With the Sansui I'm able to drive two speakers at once making it very easy to reference against my other primary speakers. 

tdogzthmn

« Reply #13 on: 15 Oct 2017, 12:22 am »
Continuing to enjoy my Junior 8's as my primary speaker but I discovered some piano music from one of my favorite composers seems to cause the driver to resonate while playing.

The song "Solo" by Ludovico Einaudi creates a very noticeable resonance in the left driver.  I'll try to investigate using different amps and see if see if it carries under different conditions.

Are there any other RS8 owners in the forum?

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #14 on: 15 Oct 2017, 12:47 am »
Have you swapped left and right speakers?

seikosha

« Reply #15 on: 15 Oct 2017, 12:51 pm »
Continuing to enjoy my Junior 8's as my primary speaker but I discovered some piano music from one of my favorite composers seems to cause the driver to resonate while playing.

The song "Solo" by Ludovico Einaudi creates a very noticeable resonance in the left driver.  I'll try to investigate using different amps and see if see if it carries under different conditions.

Are there any other RS8 owners in the forum?

What do you mean by resonate.....are you saying it’s distorting?  How loud are you playing the track and what does the distortion sound like?

tdogzthmn

« Reply #16 on: 15 Oct 2017, 06:45 pm »
What do you mean by resonate.....are you saying it’s distorting?  How loud are you playing the track and what does the distortion sound like?

The music is being played at low-moderate listening level so its not a distortion caused from over driving the speakers.  I ended up connecting the speakers to my Bottlehead SEX 2.1 amp and found the problem was reduced significantly for that song.  I've experienced the same thing with other speakers/headphones before where certain songs cause the driver to resonate in an uncontrolled way.  For now i'll keep running the Bottlehead amp which sounds very lovely!